Designing, setting up and operating a PMO to support a multi-year programme of SAP systems adoption
Our client, a major oil and gas operator, had an ambitious goal – to achieve a 50% increase in oil production in a very short space of time. One of the main ways to make this happen was through smarter operations – using data more efficiently and effectively. Our client had a range of on and offshore projects planned, all with the aim of integrating SAP into the way they work. Some of these were already underway.
We partnered with our client to help bring these diverse projects together as a single programme, providing the learning, communications and change management expertise needed to engage people in the programme for years to come.
We developed the change approach in close collaboration with UK leadership; the Project Management Office (PMO) ensured the client team had the capability to respond to the changing demands of the programme.
- Worked with leadership to establish an approach for change.
- Established sponsorship [eg business process owners network] and a regular pattern of events to engage.
- Created a visual identity and theme for the programme, showing the value of diverse functions working together.
- Supported the SAP Harmonisation theme with a message framework and straplines.
- Created eLearning for new systems – such as HR’s new Appraisals process.
- Helped the client to support eLearning with a network of ‘key users’ – experts on hand to help.
- Assembled a Communications Forum of Key SAP users & facilitated discussions/agreements on how to focus efforts across the programme.
- Worked with Corporate Comms to define most effective channels and put a flexible comms plan together – ensuring the Programme would be evenly supported by project-specific communications activity.
Benefits and Outcomes
- The Programme governance and reporting provided by the PMO ensured visibility of progress and allowed for effective decision making.
- Projects are now initiated and reported on in a consistent fashion benefiting from improved coordination and communications between the project teams.
- Active executive sponsorship (from the MD) raised the profile of the programme and strengthened its link to company strategy.
- A revamped SharePoint space provided a central hub for the programme and connected all projects and learning.
- A coherent programme ‘brand’ so that all project activity supports recognition of the Programme and its aims.
- Easy to access tools and collateral to support key users in learning conversations.