Embedding Safe Ways of Operational Working
Executing a rapid behavioural change in the way offshore maintenance teams plan and assess risks prior to carrying out lifting operations.
In response to a regulator improvement notice, our client needed to implement immediate improvements in their Lifting Operations and Risks Assessment Procedure, alongside the publication of new procedure documentation and process flow. Identifying classroom training as the preferred approach they now had three months to design and develop the course and train over 300 offshore workers. Afiniti was tasked with the challenge to deliver an effective behavioural change training programme within these tight and critical deadlines.
- Carry out a rapid (one week) yet sufficiently detailed discovery stage to determine the training need, desired outcomes and best approach to training design.
- Design and develop a scenario-based, engaging and intensive one day facilitated workshop including:
- Business sponsor video – to give clarity of purpose and priority to the agenda
- Process-centric approach – covering roles, responsibilities and procedures
- Practical application – exercise sessions based on real-word scenarios
- Competitive element – scored assessment with winners and prizes
- Communications with the offshore teams (internal and third party) to commit staff to attend training sessions.
- Facilitation of training sessions – parallel running of courses across 3 locations (Aberdeen, Glasgow, Middlesbrough).
- 30 courses delivered within notice period
- 90% attendance on all courses with minimal no shows
- Flexibility to deal with changing needs (e.g. 30% increase in attendee numbers)
- Built a strong team spirit across organisational boundaries with a ‘can do’ attitude to achieving a successful outcome
- Excellent attendee feedback – 3.42 out of 4 versus quality benchmark of 3.4
“I was very impressed by the service provided by the Afiniti team, especially given the tight deadlines we had given them. They were very professional, listened carefully and they ‘got it’ very quickly. They certainly made our lives a lot easier and we look forward to working with them again in the future.” – HSSE Lifting Operations Specialist